Novak Djokovic: ‘I have learned the strength and resilience to bounce back from adversity’
Novak Djokovic says he had the mental strength to deal with his various troubles in 2020, although it showed that tennis is one big learning curve.
Djokovic came in for tremendous criticism from the press at time times last year, not all of which being entirely fair.
He presided over the Adria Tour exhibition event, only to see it quickly abandoned mid-tournament due to a coronavirus outbreak.
The world number one was later disqualified from the US Open for striking a female line-judge with a ball, and came under attack from inside tennis when he set up a new independent player’s association.
Djokovic, though, says that while he is happy to admit his mistakes, he won’t be broken by criticism.
“Tennis, it’s kind of my learning ground,” Novak Djokovic told CNN. “My strongest, most beautiful emotions surface there, but also the worst of my emotions surface there.
“I see life as a great learning curve, and I feel over the years I kind of learned how to bounce back
“I have tremendous experience of traveling around the world and being on top of the men’s game for many years, and that has helped me to develop the mental strength and resilience.
“But I still am human being as anybody else. I still have my fears, my insecurities. I still make mistakes and errors.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner