‘Novak Djokovic has shown sustained excellence’ – ATP hail Serb after historic achievement
ATP chairman Andrea Gaudenzi has hailed Novak Djokovic as ‘simply incredible’ after he won a record-equalling sixth year-end world number one.
The ATP confirmed Djokovic as the year-end world number one for 2020 on Friday, adding to his crowns of 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, and 2018 to draw level with Pete Sampras in the record books.
Djokovic also becomes the oldest man in history to finish they year on top of the world rankings.
“To finish the year as No.1 is one of the most impressive achievements in our sport, one which requires sustained excellence across the season,” said Gaudenzi.
“To see Novak achieve this for the sixth time and match Pete’s record is simply incredible, and he continues to cement his place in the history books.”
The record is sure to hold real significance to Djokovic too, who has always named Sampras as an idol of his.
“Pete was somebody I looked up to when I was growing up, so to match his record is a dream come true,” Djokovic said.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner