‘Novak Djokovic gave me a beating – I did not have fun,’ admits Jeremy Chardy
Jeremy Chardy admitted he ‘took a beating’ against Novak Djokovic and there was nothing he could do about it.
Djokovic was in typically scintillating form as he began his Australian Open defence with a 6-3, 6-1, 6-2 demolition of the Frenchman.
And, speaking after the match, Chardy opened up on just how demoralising it can be for players facing the world number one in that kind of a mood.
“The more I play it, the more difficult it is,” Chardy told the press, as quoted by Tennisbuzz. “He was stronger than me everywhere, I felt like I had no solution.
“I feel great but when I get on the court to play against him, it’s tough. I wish I could at least do better. He got me into trouble right away.
“I started out being nervous and then didn’t even break free. I took a beating and I did not have fun.
“Throughout the game, I lost courage. After the first set, I felt like I had no solution. I was in a rush everywhere.
“It was a long game for me. I lost confidence quickly and it hit me in the back of the head.”
Novak Djokovic is attempting to win what would be a ninth Australian Open title this month.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner