Novak Djokovic: ‘Daniil Medvedev is the player to beat – his backhand is as good as it gets’
Daniil Medvedev is the ‘player to beat’ in the ATP right now, says world number one Novak Djokovic.
The Russian is currently riding an incredible 19-match winning streak, with the majority of those victories coming against top ten opposition.
He will attempt to reach a second career Grand Slam final on Friday when he faces Stefanos Tsitsipas.
Should he win it, Djokovic awaits, and he believes Medvedev has taken his game to a whole new level of late.
“Daniil Medvedev is the player to beat,” Djokovic told Eurosport. “He’s on a big winning streak.
“He ended out the season best possible fashion. I mean, winning quite comfortably, actually, against top players, against myself in straight sets in London, and he just has improved a lot.
“He has a big serve. For a tall guy, he moves extremely well. Forehand maybe was his weaker shot, but he has improved that, as well. Backhand is as good as it gets.
“He’s so solid. He doesn’t give you much. But he’s not afraid nowadays to attack and get to the net and take it to his opponents.
“Also, I heard Jim Courier calling him a master chess player because of the way he tactically positions himself on the court, and it’s true.
“You know, he’s definitely very smart tennis player.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner