Novak Djokovic continues stunning run to reach Olympic semi-final
Novak Djokovic has reached the semi-finals in Tokyo as he continues on the trail to complete a Calendar Golden Slam.
The world number one defeated home favourite Kei Nishikori 6-2 6-0 in just one hour and 10 minutes to book his place in the last four.
Djokovic is yet to win an Olympic medal in his illustrious career, losing to Juan Martin Del Petro at both London 2012 and Rio 2016 Olympic Games. Following his quarter-final victory, the Serb is now guaranteed to play a medal match.
Djokovic continued his fine form and was at his brilliant best from ball one, racing into a 3-0 lead with an array of delightful ground-strokes.
Nishikori fought hard to get back into the opening set, but Djokovic’s early lead was pivotal as he closed out the set 6-2 in 41 minutes.
Despite the Japanese star playing some beautiful tennis in the second set, Djokovic was just too good, as many players have found in 2021.
The world number one quickly grabbed authority of the second set and sprinted to the winning line, taking the match 6-2 6-0.
Djokovic will play either Alexander Zverev or Jeremy Chardy for a place in the gold medal match.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner