‘Novak Djokovic capable of catching 400 weeks,’ says Daniil Medvedev
Novak Djokovic can extend his number one record to 400 weeks says Daniil Medvedev, who will reach a career-high ranking of number two on Monday.
Novak Djokovic, who won his 18th Grand Slam in Melbourne last month, surpassed Roger Federer’s record on March 8 after moving past the Swiss to hold the number one ranking for the 311th week.
Medvedev will become the first player outside Djokovic, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray to occupy one of the top two rankings since Lleyton Hewitt in 2005.
“First of all, it’s an unbelievable achievement,” Medvedev said after reaching the semi-finals of the ATP 250 event in Marseille on Friday.
“I think in the world of tennis we talk about Grand Slams more than anything else. But this is also a small competition, I’m sure he’s really happy about it. The way he’s played, he’s definitely capable of catching 400 weeks.
“We’re going to try to not let him do this. I didn’t manage to do anything in the Australian Open Final, but that is what sport is about. Nobody is going to give him an easy pass. He’s going to have to earn it.”
Medvedev also praised Roger Federer, who made his long-awaited return to court this week in Doha after double knee surgeries and won his first match against Dan Evans.
The Russian said: “I would definitely like to play Roger. He’s one of the three best in tennis history, it’s always great playing him. Every time you step out on the court against the Big Three, it’s a special feeling.
“As I’ve always said about the Big Three, they are unbelievable. The records they have set (are) probably not going to be beaten maybe in 100 years.
“It’s very rare that you see this in sports. I don’t think you can say that other players were not good enough in this era, it’s just that they were unbelievable and there’s nothing for others to be ashamed of.”
Medvedev is set to face Matthew Ebden in the semi-finals in Marseille before moving to his career-high number two ranking on Monday.
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates with our legendary newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner