Novak Djokovic Australian Open win makes Grand Slam race impossible to call, says analyst
The Grand Slam race between Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, and Novak Djokovic is now too close to call, says Mats Wilander.
Djokovic won the Australian Open to close the gap between himself and Federer and Nadal, who both have 20, to just two.
And, with each of them strongest on different surfaces, Eurosport expert Wilander says it’s now almost impossible to predict.
“It was disappointing for Novak Djokovic at the US Open, but it’s starting again with Rafa winning Roland-Garros on 20,” Wilander said.
“Now with Novak on 18 we start thinking Novak is most probably the favourite to win the US Open because it’s hard court.
“Wimbledon? Maybe he’s the favourite. At the end of this year who knows who’s going to be in the lead.
“[The win] is a huge statement to them, to us, to the whole world,” Wilander said.
“Novak is just so complete these days, he can hit those little drop shots, he can come to the net, he’s got choices.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner