‘Novak Djokovic as strong at Australian Open as Rafael Nadal is as Roland Garros,’ says Mats Wilander
Novak Djokovic is as difficult to beat at the Australian Open as Rafael Nadal is at the French Open, claims Mats Wilander.
Nadal has set the standard for sporting dominance after winning an incredible 13 titles at Roland Garros.
Djokovic has fewer Australian Open triumphs to has name, but he has nine wins there from nine finals, making him more successful in Melbourne than Roger Federer has been at Wimbledon.
“When you watch Novak Djokovic play at the Australian Open, it looks as difficult to beat him here as it does to beat Rafa Nadal at Roland-Garros.
“It shouldn’t be because it’s a faster court, it should be much more difficult but he looks so solid, so confident and once he gets into the lead I don’t know what you have to do.”
“It’s amazing how Novak Djokovic has claimed the Australian Open as his home Slam, Rafa has Roland-Garros as his home Slam, and Roger Federer has Wimbledon as his home.
“So it’s amazing how they all dominate in their own ‘living rooms’. But Novak, wow, that’s a tough loss for Medvedev.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner