Norrie bolts into Wimbledon third round
Cameron Norrie raced through to Wimbledon 2021 third round after defeating Alex Bolt in straight sets.
The British No. 2 defeated the Aussie 6-3, 6-1, 6-3 in one hour and 36 minutes in the second round on Court One at the All England Club.
Norrie has enjoyed a fantastic start to 2021, reaching third round of all three Grand Slams played and competing in three ATP tournament finals.
Bolt raced into a 3-0 lead, with the occasion and crowd seemingly affecting Norrie’s ability to settle. The 25-year-old soon found his feet, and turned the first set around completely to take it 6-3.
The Brit’s momentum continued as he raced into a 5-0 lead in set, much to the delight of a big British crowd. Bolt stopped his opponents 11 game run, but Norrie served the set out 6-1.
Set three was more of the same. Norrie dictating the long exchanges with excellent depth, power and variation as he broke for 2-1. Bolt made the match competitive but couldn’t steal a break of serve. When Norrie fired another forehand winner for 5-2, the match was all but over. An impressive display was capped with another great hold of serve to book his place in round three for the first time.
Reaching the 3rd round of #Wimbledon for the 1st time
— LTA (@the_LTA) July 1, 2021
“Unbelievable to be back with fans, you guys are amazing, this is so special. I’m very happy to be in the third round, I’m pleased with myself. I hope you enjoyed it.” Norrie said in his post-match interview.
“I had a tricky start, I moved well and was moving strong out the corners today. There was a lot of improvement from the other day. This is my first time on Court One, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It would be special to play Richard (Gasquet) or Roger (Federer). If there’s a time to play Roger it’s probably now, but he’s still a decent player.”
Norrie will face either Roger Federer or Richard Gasquet in the third round.
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner