Normal service resumes as Murray eases past Karlovic
Murray needed just an hour and 56 minutes to defeat the big-serving Croatian 6-1 6-4 7-6(3) and reach the fourth round at Roland Garros for the seventh time in his career.
“Obviously any match you play, the quicker you get it done, the better, especially in these events when the best of five it can go long,” Murray said. “It was nice to win quickly today. It gives me a chance to kind of recover from the first few days, which is good.”
After successfully navigating his way past one big server, Murray will face another in the fourth round with American John Isner standing between the two-time Grand Slam champion and a place in the quarter-finals. However, Murray expects an altogether different challenge.
“John plays a bit more from the baseline, a bit more consistent from the back of the court,” Murray said of Isner, who defeated Teymuraz Gabashvili 7-6(7) 4-6 2-6 6-4 6-2. “He doesn’t volley as well. They’re obviously both two big guys with great serves, but they are quite different in the way that they play and the way they hit the ball.
“Ivo uses predominantly slice off his backhand. John doesn’t use the slice as much. John is maybe a bit more patient from the back of the court. Ivo, when he gets a forehand he tries to finish the point immediately. So quite different game styles, even though they are both big guys.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner