‘I’m trying to bring better news to Japan by winning at Olympics’, says Kei Nishikori
Kei Nishikori has revealed competing at a home Olympics is something he “dreamed of when little” after making a great start at the Tokyo Games.
The unseeded Japanese star upset number five seed Andrey Rublev in straight sets in the opening round of the men’s singles event on Sunday.
The 31-year-old has also advanced to the quarter-finals of the men’s doubles with countryman Ben McLachlan.
The world number 69 – who has been ranked as high as four in the ATP – faces America’s Marcos Giron in the second singles round on Tuesday.
— Kei Nishikori (@keinishikori) July 26, 2021
“(On playing at a home Olympics) This is something I dreamed of when I was little,” the Japanese said after his opening singles match.
“I think especially now with the Covid situation, if I can win as many [matches] as I can I think that brings better news [to Japan], and that’s something I’m trying to do this week.
“Of course, if there are fans and spectators I will enjoy it much more, but it is what it is. I have to focus on what I have to do and not to think too much on the court.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner