‘Never give up!’ – World number one Ash Barty survives major Miami scare
World number one Ashleigh Barty survived a major scare as she had to fend off a match point in her Miami opener.
Barty looked well short of her best against qualifier Kristina Kucova despite coming through the first set relatively comfortably.
However, it all got a little messy for the Australian after that, with her losing the second set and then facing a match point at 3-5 down in the third.
Kucova could not punish her, though, and Barty reeled off five games in a row to seal a 6-3, 4-6, 7-5 win.
“Never give up, never ever give up,” Barty said on court afterwards. “You’re always in there with a chance.
“Today was really hard work, and I enjoyed every single minute of it,”
“There’s nothing like coming through a test like that, and now I get another opportunity in a couple days time to play another tough match, and test myself again.”
Number seven seed Aryna Sabalenka was in a similar boat as she successfully defended two match points in a final-set tiebreaker against qualifier Tsvetana Pironkova.
Like Barty, though, she held her nerve and came through it 0-6, 6-3, 7-6.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner