‘Naomi Osaka is clearly the favourite for Australian Open title,’ says Alex Corretja
Alex Corretja believes ‘everything depends on Naomi Osaka’ in the Australian Open final, as Jennifer Brady can’t beat her at her best.
Brady, the world number 24, will play her first Grand Slam final on Saturday after a dream run in Melbourne.
She faces formidable opposition in Osaka, though, with the Japanese ace a strong favourite to win a fourth Grand Slam crown.
All three of her previous titles have come on hardcourts, and Corretja thinks that another is inevitable if she plays at her usual level.
“I would say for Naomi Osaka it was expected that she would be in the final rounds,” Eurosport expert Corretja said.
“For me, the key moment for her was beating Garbine Muguruza.
“I felt at the time that whoever won that match would have a big chance to win the tournament, Naomi got through and from then on I think she has played very good, very aggressive and she is serving unbelievable.
“She is moving very well, and she’s hitting hard. I think she’s clearly the favourite, she’s got more experience and she beat Jennifer at the US Open but this a totally different thing, this is a final and experience makes a big difference.
“Brady serves great, she has a great forehand, a good backhand but I’m not sure she will have too much time to dictate with her forehand against Naomi that she likes to do and get the position on the court.
“She likes to dominate. I think for Brady it is a little bit of a surprise she is the final but all the credit to her because she has taken her chance very well.
“I am expecting a good final, but I think everything depends on Osaka.”
Watch the Australian Open live on Eurosport and Eurosport app
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner