Naomi Osaka feeling ‘refreshed’ at ‘nerve-wracking’ home Olympics
Naomi Osaka has revealed she feels “definitely a little bit refreshed and happy again” after making her return to action at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
The world number two has defeated Zheng Saisai and Viktorija Golubic without losing a set to progress to the last 16 on her Olympic debut.
Osaka will play the world number 42 – Czech Republic’s Marketa Vondrousova – in her next match on Tuesday.
The Japanese star had not appeared since the French Open almost two months ago – which she withdrew from citing mental health reasons.
“I feel definitely a little bit refreshed and happy again. I feel like, more than anything, I’m just focused on playing tennis,” the 23-year-old said in a post-match interview.
“I felt really nervous being in Japan (ahead of her first round win), and playing here for the first time in maybe two years, and for it to be my first Olympics. It was definitely really nerve-wracking.”
Osaka is the highest seed left in the tournament after world number one Ash Barty exited in the first round, while third seed Aryna Sabalenka fell in the second round today.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner