Nalbo and Lopez return for crucial doubles
David Nalbandian will team up with Agustin Calleri for Argentina in the doubles rubber on Saturday. With the tie balanced at 1-1 after Fridays singles, Saturdays result will leave one team just a win away from sealing the Davis Cup.
Alberto Mancini, the Argentina captain, originally selected Jose Acasuso to play with Calleri, confidently envisioning the host nation having a 2-0 lead after Friday’s singles matches.
That looked to be on the cards early on, after Nalbandian wept past David Ferrer in straight sets. But Juan Martin del Potro fell to Lopez in four, levelling the tie ahead of Saturday’s doubles, which is now absolutely critical – and Nalbandian, virtually flawless against Ferrer, is getting the call.
Nalbandian and Calleri, have played together in the past, but will face Spains regular doubles duo, Feliciano Lopez and Fernando Verdasco. The lefty pair have played together for several years, playing ATP events on top of their Davis Cup exploits.
The conditions clearly suited Lopezs huge serve against del Potro, and he will look to build on the momentum of yesterdays crucial victory. Nalbandian and Calleri will, however, have the backing of the highly charged home crowd behind them likely to be even more enthusiastic than it was on Friday with so much hanging on Saturdays result.
Davis Cup final as it stands:
Argentina 1-1 Spain
David Nalbandian beat David Ferrer 6-3 6-2 6-3
Juan Martin del Potro lost to Feliciano Lopez 4-6 7-6(2) 7-6(4) 6-3
Nalbandian/Calleri versus Lopez/Verdasco
Juan Martin del Potro versus David Ferrer
David Nalbandian versus Feliciano Lopez
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner