Nadal scrapes past Zverev
Nadal was seconds from defeat as Zverev closed in on the net on match point, but a missed volley from the 18-year-old saw Nadal live to fight on, and he went on to win the match 6-7(8) 6-0 7-5 and set up a quarter-final clash with Kei Nishikori.
“A great victory… I’m very happy about it,” Nadal said. “I am especially happy about the mentality on court, the spirit of fight during the whole match, believing that I can win a match during the whole time even in the tougher situations.”
Serving at 5-3 40-30 in the final set, Zverev was one point away from becoming the youngest man to reach the quarter-finals in Indian Wells since Andre Agassi in 1989. But a miscued forehand volley saw his chance of scoring the biggest win of his career fizzle away.
“I missed probably the easiest shot I had the whole match,” said Zverev. “It was a great match. Rafa did what he does best; he was fighting. He’s known for that. I still had chances to win. I had an easy shot at match point and I missed it. I’m out and he’s in the quarter-finals.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner