Nadal out for four weeks
Originally published on: 26/02/10 13:03
The world number two had his right knee assessed in Spain on Thursday and was advised to rest completely for two weeks before another fortnight of training and medical treatment.
The news means Nadal is set to miss the ABN AMRO World Tournament in Rotterdam next month, where he reached the final last year before losing to Murray. However, the injury is not a recurrence of the tendinitis that has proved increasingly troublesome for Nadal and caused him to miss the defence of his Wimbledon title last year.
MRI and ultrasound tests showed a small tear at the back part of the Spaniard’s right knee, reported Dr Angel Ruiz-Cotorro in a statement on Friday.
“After two weeks, and depending on the results of the different tests and controls, he will steadily resume his sporting activity with a total recovery time to resume competition in fours weeks,” said Ruiz-Cotorro.
Nadal, meanwhile, is focused on returning to the court as soon as possible.
“I feel good and I am only thinking now of recovering well,” said the 23-year-old. “My main goal right now is to get ready again and fit to play the forthcoming events once I am able to compete.
“It is a big disappointment for me not to be able to play at Rotterdam this year.”