Nadal: Academy is a dream come true
The 14-time Grand Slam champion officially opened the Rafa Nadal Academy by Movistar in his home town of Manacor last week.
With 26 indoor and outdoor tennis courts, a fitness centre, two swimming pools, mini-football pitches, 10 padel tennis courts as well as an international school, pro shop, restaurant and sports clinic, the academy took nearly two years to complete.
The team of coaches are directed by Nadal’s uncle and long-time coach Toni, while the 30-year-old’s Grand Slam trophies are on display in the museum situated on the complex.
“It’s an important moment of my career,” said Nadal. “A lot of years dreaming about having something like this. Finally that dream came true.”
Nadal may already be thinking about expanding his empire, but he says there was only ever going to be one location for his academy.
“I don’t know if it’s going to be my last academy but for me the most important thing is to build the first one here,” he says. “It’s where I live, where I’m going to live and it’s the only chance to really be involved with the project. Having the academy here. I’m here every day so I can see, I can be close to the kids, I can be close to the coaches.”
About ‘Open Court’
CNN serves up a half hour of tennis that takes viewers beyond the baseline in search of the most compelling stories in the sport. Hosted by former Wimbledon champion Pat Cash.
‘Open Court’ airs at the following times on CNN International:
Saturday 29 October at 1730 BST
Sunday 30 October at 0730 BST and 2230 BST
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner