‘My wife is a massive Rafael Nadal fan and my son wants Roger Federer to beat me,’ says Gilles Simon
Gilles Simon says he can’t compete with Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal for popularity even within his own family.
Simon has spent his whole career in the shadow of Nadal and Federer, as have every player on the ATP Tour in the last decade and a half with the exception on Novak Djokovic.
the 35-year-old Frenchman should at least be able to be the most popular tennis player at home, though, but that apparently is not the case.
“My wife has always been a massive Nadal fan, with my two sons following her choice,” Simon explained.
“In 2017, Roger Federer defeated Rafa in the Australian Open final in five sets. My older son Timothee was angry that we had influenced him towards Nadal when Federer was the better player.
“Since then, Roger has been his hero, with no one even close to the Swiss, including me, his father.
“When I played against Roger in Basel, Timothee told me that he was on Roger’s side; those are kids, and you can only smile on that.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner