My son ‘still lives for tennis’ says Robert Federer
Robert Federer has said his son ‘still lives for tennis’ despite Roger opting to undergo a third knee surgery.
The 20-time Slam champion will be out of action for ‘many months’ as he will undergo a third surgery in 18 months to give himself a small chance of returning to the playing court.
Federer turned 40 earlier this month, and has only managed to play five events since the start of 2020, including Wimbledon this year in which he reached the quarter-final before losing against Hubert Hurkacz.
Federer’s parents refused to talk about whether their son could be forced into retirement.
“These are personal things that stay within the family,” his mother said when asked if her son had discussed his retirement with them.
“He certainly follows his instinct and love of the sport,” said Lynette. “In addition, his body has coped with this relatively well at a high level over the past 25 years.”
Federer’s father Robert added: “It’s just great how he still lives for tennis. And you can see what he’s taking on, all the efforts of rebuilding after his injury – that’s admirable. Roger lives his dream.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner