‘My level was pretty high’ – Novak Djokovic happy after winning start to season at ATP Cup
Novak Djokovic led defending champions Serbia to a winning start at the ATP Cup before declaring himself happy with his level.
Djokovic faced Denis Shapovalov in the second match of Serbia’s tie with Canada in the round robin stage of the tournament.
The pressure was on the world number one after Milos Raonic had defeated Dusan Lajovic in the first rubber, but he held his nerve to carve out a 7-5, 7-5 win.
“It’s a great opening of the season,” Djokovic said on court after the match.
“It was a very close match, playing Shapo is always a great challenge on hard courts, he’s such a dynamic and explosive player.
“I thought we both played at a pretty high level so I’m really pleased with how I started this season.”
Djokovic’s singles victory meant it was down to the doubles to settle the contest, with both teams putting their stars on court to try to win it.
Filip Krajinović teamed with Djokovic, with Raonic and Shapovalov lining up for Canada, but it was the Serbians again who dominated the big moments and won a tight matcch in straight sets.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner