‘My lethal weapon is the backhand down the line,’ says Lorenzo Musetti after another win
Lorenzo Musetti beat Michael Mmoh in his Miami Masters opener before revealing what he considers to be his ‘lethal weapon’.
The Italian teenager has already broken into the top 100 in the world after a fine showing in Acapulco last week, and he produced again to move into the second round in Miami.
It was not entirely straightforward though, as he found himself 0-40 down when serving for the match.
However, he saved the last break point with an incredible backhand winner, and he has warned rivals they may have to get used to it.
“I think my lethal weapon is the backhand down the line,” Musetti said after his 6-4, 6-4 win.
“It was a really tough moment [and] I came out with a fantastic backhand down the line. I think it’s one of my keys [to] improving my game.”
“It’s really nice. It’s my first time here [in Miami]. Last week was a fantastic run in Acapulco.
“Michael was a great opponent. I played a really good match, it was a tough match. [It was] really intense and I really enjoyed [playing] here. I’m really happy.”
Musetti will face Benoit Paire next, who has deliberately tanked in two tournaments recently and openly admitted he is not interested in going deep in events due to COVID restrictions.
“He’s a really nice guy and is a fantastic player,” Musetti said. “He has had a lot of ups and downs in his career, but I think he plays incredible tennis.
“It will be really tough, but for sure it will be fun and a great experience.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner