‘My head cleaned up and led me to victory,’ says Stefanos Tsitsipas
Stefanos Tsitsipas denied big serving American John Isner to reach the fourth round of the French Open under the lights at Roland Garros.
The Greek star dropped the opening set after a phenomenal start from Isner, who powered through his service games before breaking to love to take the first set 7-5.
The American also had chances in the second set with a break point opportunity in the seventh game, though Tsitsipas saved it with a forehand winner before breaking to tie the match.
Despite another closely contested set in the third, Stefanos Tsitsipas came into his own in the tie-break before outplaying the fatigued American in the final set to win 5-7 6-3 7-6(3) 6-1 in two hours and 41 minutes.
““He [Isner] is a big guy who hits amazing strokes,” said Tsitsipas. I can learn a lot playing against him, he’s one of the toughest guys to play. His serve is obviously a big obstacle.
“I didn’t have the best start. Things started going my way in the second set, I started finding my returns, feeling my game a little bit better from the baseline. I think my head cleaned up and led me to an important victory.”
The Greek, who is into the fourth round of the French Open for a third consecutive year, will now face clay-court specialist Pablo Carreno Busta on Sunday.
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner