‘My confidence is super high’, says Coco Gauff after reaching Charleston quarter-finals
Coco Gauff said she is improving with every match after reaching the quarter-finals of the WTA 500 tournament in Charleston on Thursday.
The 17-year-old American beat compatriot Lauren Davis 6-2, 7-6 (7-2) in the third round of the green clay event. After Gauff dominated the opening set, Davis served for the second set at 5-4 and 6-5, but was broken back both times.
World No. 36 Gauff then reeled off seven consecutive points – after dropping the first two points – to take the tiebreak and seal the victory.
“My confidence is definitely super high,” Gauff said in her post-match press conference.
“I feel like each match, I’m doing better and better, and I’m excited to hopefully keep continuing and excited to play the quarterfinal.
— wta (@WTA) April 8, 2021
“I think it’s just important to just continue to trust my shots and trust my strokes. Even if I miss hitting a good shot, those are the misses I want to make.”
The 14th seed will play world No. 28 and 12th seed Ons Jabeur in the last eight on Friday. Gauff leads the head-to-head 2-0 – having won both meetings in 2020.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner