‘My best performance’, Novak Djokovic delighted with Olympics win
Novak Djokovic has insisted he is ‘getting better and better’ after easing into Olympics semi-finals with a dominant display against Kei Nishikori.
The world number one defeated home favourite Kei Nishikori 6-2 6-0 in just one hour and 10 minutes to book his place in the last four.
Djokovic has never won the Olympic singles gold medal, with a bronze in 2008 his best result at the Games. The Serb will face Alexander Zverev in the semi-finals.
“I’m very happy, my best performance in the tournament,” said the top seed.
“Matches are not getting easier, but my level of tennis is getting better and better.
“I’ve done that many, many times in my career. I know that I’m (the) kind of player that the further the tournament goes, the better I’m feeling on the court.”
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) July 29, 2021
The quarter-final matches were played in cooler conditions after players complained about playing during the gruelling temperatures.
“It was fantastic. Playing after five (pm) is completely different,” added Djokovic.
“Obviously, there is a little bit of a breeze, but still very, very humid, you sweat a lot, but you don’t have the heat, you don’t have the sun that, in combination with the humidity, is just brutal.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner