‘My back is holding up well’ – Rafa Nadal issues positive injury update
Rafa Nadal has given another injury update at the Australian Open, saying his back is ‘holding up well.’
Nadal has been fighting the injury for two weeks now, with it ruling him out of the entire ATP Cup just before the start of the Australian Open.
However, after initially playing within himself to protect the problem, Nadal says his serve speeds are back up to where he would expect and he is pleased with how his back is responding to treatment.
“It’s holding up well,” Rafa Nadal told the press after his win over Fabio Fognini in the last 16.
“I already said that if I didn’t improve my back I couldn’t achieve what I had come here to look for. Five days ago I would have taken to be where I am now.
“I have taken a physical and tennis step forward. I am among the eight best in the world.
“The first important tournament of the year, but there is everything to be won.
“The speed of the second serve against Fognini has been the same as that of the last year and a half and that is something important for me.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner