Murray slips up against Delbonis
Murray suffered his first defeat since the birth of his daughter Sophia last month as he lost a third set tiebreak to fall 6-4 4-6 7-6(3) to the world No.53.
Although Murray reached the semi-finals last year (l. to Djokovic), and the final in 2009 (l. to Nadal), the Scot has not enjoyed his best results in the Californian desert. In 2011 he lost in straight sets to Donald Young in the second round, and the following year he fell at the same stage to Guillermo Garcia-Lopez.
“I think it’s just the conditions here I have just struggled with throughout my career,” Murray said. “I have never really felt that I played my best tennis here. “I have tried and had many different preparations where I’ve got here early and spent a lot of time on the courts, and sometimes I arrive later, like this time from the Davis Cup.
“Obviously it takes time to get used to new conditions regardless of where it is, but I have just never really found a way to get comfortable here throughout my career. It’s a shame.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner