Murray set for new Wimbledon experience against Broady
As he walks onto Centre Court to kick off his 2016 Wimbledon campaign, however, there will be a new experience for the world No.2 as he takes on British opponent. It is the first time in his career that Murray will play fellow Brit at Wimbledon, and he knows world No.235 Liam Broady will have nothing to lose.
“It will be a bit strange,” admitted Murray. “It’s never happened before for me. I know Liam fairly well. We practised a bit earlier this year after the Australian Open. He’s a good guy. He works hard.”
“I hope Liam is really pumped because these are the moments you play for,” Murray wrote in his daily column for BBC Sport. “I obviously hope that I win the match but this is a big opportunity for him to go out there, give it a go and show everybody what he’s got.”
Broady, a former junior singles finalist and boys’ doubles champion at SW19, is one of nine Brits in the men’s draw, the most since 2006. And with six women in the women’s singles draw, including Johanna Konta who is the first British woman to be seeded at Wimbledon to be seeded since Jo Durie in 1984, Murray admits British tennis is heading in the right direction.
“I do feel right now it’s pretty positive,” he said. “I don’t think it’s in a bad place just now. I think obviously it could be better.
“Johanna has been doing very well. I think Kyle [Edmund] is going to continue to keep improving. Dan Evans is sort of now getting everything together, is going to be on the tour hopefully for a while now.
“On the doubles side, obviously my brother [Jamie, the world No.1] has been doing very well. Naomi Broady, Liam’s sister, has been doing great, too. Heather Watson has always been up there and solid. Hopefully Laura [Robson] can get fit again.
“Things are hopefully going in the right direction. I’m not saying it’s perfect, but it’s more positive than some of the years I’ve been here, for sure.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner