‘It’s rubbish!’ – Murray rages at forced Konta Wimbledon withdrawal
Jamie Murray has described Jo Konta being forced to withdraw from Wimbledon due to a Covid close contact as ‘rubbish.’
Konta, the British number one, was forced to remove herself from the tournament on Sunday night after a member of her team tested positive for the coronavirus.
Under current protocols, Konta must not self-isolate for 10 days, meaning she was not able to play any matches at all in SW19.
She has found a sympathetic ear in doubles star Jamie Murray, though.
“It’s rubbish, it’s rubbish,” Murray said. “I feel really bad for her.
“[It’s a] terrible situation to be in. There’s nothing we can do unfortunately.
Konta is a former semi-finalist at SW19 and she was due to play Katerina Siniakova in the first round on Tuesday.
“A member of Johanna Konta’s team presented with Covid-19 symptoms this morning and immediately isolated and undertook a PCR test in accordance with the Championships’ testing protocols,” a statement read on Sunday.
“A positive result was returned which resulted in the AELTC, together with Public Health England, identifying Johanna Konta to be a close contact.
“In line with government legislation, she is required to self-isolate for ten days and there is withdrawn from the Championships.
“Both Johanna and her team member had tested negative on all their previous tests undertaken with the Championships’ protocols.
“Both individuals were advised of the positive test and close contract classification and are now self-isolating for the next 10 days.”
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner