WATCH: Ons Jabeur hits stunning shot around net as she upsets Garbine Muguruza
Ons Jabeur upset former champion and 11th seed Garbine Muguruza in three sets to reach the fourth round at Wimbledon 2021.
The world No. 24 defeated 2017 winner Muguruza 5-7, 6-3, 6-2 to reach the last 16 at the All England Club for the first time.
“It is [the best day of my tennis career], seriously. I’m not saying this so you guys cheer for me for the next round, but this is my favourite centre court [laughs],” Jabeur said in her on-court interview.
“The energy is amazing, I won here. So I’m so, so happy. [I was] a little bit nervous [at the start]. She plays unbelievable on grass, everybody knows that.
— Tennis GIFs 🎾🎥 (@tennis_gifs) July 2, 2021
“I lost against her last time, so this was kind of my revenge here. In a nice way. It was very difficult moments in the first set, not winning our serves. But then after, the second set – I tried to stay more calm and enjoy playing here.”
Muguruza edged a tight opening set in which she broke Jabeur three times – including at 5-5, before serving the set out at the second attempt.
The talented Tunisian responded by securing the lone break of the second set to go up 5-3 – before holding from 0-40 to level the match.
The 26-year-old broke Muguruza to love in the opening game of the decider, and again for 4-1, before sealing a superb triumph.
Jabeur will take on seventh seed Iga Swiatek in the fourth round.
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner