‘More players outside the Big Three will win Grand Slams soon’, predicts Dominic Thiem
Dominic Thiem believes more players outside of the ‘Big Three’ of Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic will win Grand Slams “in the near future”.
By winning the 2020 US Open, the Austrian became the first player besides the legendary trio to win a major since Stan Wawrinka at the 2016 US Open.
The 27-year-old is the only one of the ‘next generation’ of ATP players born in 1990 or later to lift a Grand Slam title.
“The Grand Slams are still dominated by the Big Three. It’s way tougher to beat them, to win three sets against them, it’s way more difficult of course than to win two,” Thiem said in an interview ahead of this week’s Italian Open.
“That’s one of the big reasons. But we (younger players) have a lot of finals already in Grand Slam tournaments. I think in the near future it’s also going to happen that somebody else is going to win them.
“I also think a lot of people underestimate the time and the era we are playing in, with by far the three best players in the history of the game.
“I think it’s more than clear that it’s incredibly tough to win Grand Slam tournaments, having to beat two of them most of the time.”
The world No. 4 will face Marton Fucsovics in the second round of the Rome Masters 1000 event on Wednesday.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner