‘More chance of winning the lottery than beating Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic at Roland Garros,’ says Frenchman
Gael Monfils says he has just as much chance of winning the lottery as he does of beating Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic at the French Open.
Monfils is in brilliant form right now, winning two titles already this season.
That has led to some hopes in his homeland that he could be a rare French winner at Roland Garros this year.
However, Gael Monfils has played down those suggestions, stating that it’s too big an ask to beat Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic, and Dominic Thiem.
“When I say that I want to win Roland-Garros, it’s hard because I have practically as many chances of winning at EuroMillions,” he said.
“You have to beat Rafa who has never really lost at Roland Garros and whom I have never beaten on clay.
“You have to beat Thiem, whom I have never beaten, and is second or third in the world on clay.
“[Then] you have to beat Novak whom I have never beaten in sixteen games.”
Monfils best performance at the French Open so far is a run to the semi-finals in 2008, where he lost to Roger Federer.
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates with our legendary newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner