Monte Carlo Masters will ‘100 per cent’ go ahead in 2021, says key advisor
The Monte Carlo Masters will ‘100 per cent’ go ahead in 2021, says former ATP Chief Chris Kermode.
Since leaving his position at the head of the ATP, Kermode has remained in tennis in an advisory capacity, with the Monte Carlo Masters among those he is involved with.
The event was one of those that fell victim to the initial coronavirus surge last Spring, with the entire tennis calendar being completely decimated for months.
However, speaking on the Tennis Podcast, Kermode insisted there would be no repeat next year.
“Yeah, we will stay in that date for sure, we will 100% run the event.
“It’s just now, we’re at the mercy of, as you are well aware, it’s called the Monte Carlo Masters but the Country Club is actually in France.
“So, we’re at the mercy of the French authorities in terms of how many people we will be allowed in the stadium.
“We have to make that call around mid-January, really. So, it’s tough to predict two, three months ahead, of what’s gonna be.
“But we will hold it. Under what circumstances, who knows?”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner