Mature Zverev downs Dimitrov
Zverev, who is the youngest player in the Top 100, reached the third round of the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells with a mature win against No.23 Grigor Dimitrov.
Dimitrov, 24, has long been hailed as one of the next generation of men’s tennis stars, but he is in danger of being overtaken by an even younger group of players.
The Bulgarian came back from a set down to lead 3-1 in the final set, but Zverev held his nerve to seal a 6-4 3-6 7-5 victory in two hours and 20 minutes.
“I tried to stay as calm as I could,” said Zverev, who will meet No.16 Gilles Simon next. “Grigor played well for an hour or so, from the middle of the second set until the middle of the third. He didn’t give me many chances, but I knew I would get my opportunities. And I used them well.
“Playing on a daily basis with those kind of guys, with the big guys, you have to be really, really strong. That’s probably one of the biggest parts for us young players.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner