Maria Sharapova to be installed as world No.1
With the announcement of her immediate retirement from professional tennis, at her request world No.1 Justine Henin will be removed from the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Rankings. That means Christmas has come early for Maria Sharapova, who will be confirmed as the world No.1 on Monday.
It will be the fourth time the Russian superstar has been at the top of the women’s rankings.
Henin, currently in her 117th non-consecutive week and fourth stint in the top spot, is the sixth longest reigning No.1 since the inception of computer singles rankings in November 1975.
The 25-year-old announced her decision to retire at a press conference in her native Belgium on Wednesday.
Next Monday will see Maria Sharapova begin her 15th career week at No.1, having first ascended to the top ranking on August 22 2005.
After a one-week spell at No.1 she regained the position two weeks later from Lindsay Davenport , where she remained for six weeks. Maria Sharapova was also No.1 for seven weeks from January to March 2007.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner