Top

Marcos Baghdatis insists ‘I’ll be back’


 

Originally published on: 26/02/10 15:07

Fans of Marcos Baghdatis will be happy to hear their man hasnt given up hope of returning to the very top of the ATP singles rankings.

The popular Cypriot endured yet another disappointing defeat on Wednesday, this time at the AAMI Classic exhibition event in Kooyong, Melbourne, where he lost 6-2, 6-2 to Swiss Stan Wawrinka.

Fans’ guide to the week ahead

No matter, says Marcos, it was just another small blip on the journey back to the big time.

“I don’t accept being 97 in the world or 100, said Baghdatis, who also lost in the first round in Brisbane last week.

I want to be back in the top 10, and that’s what I think every day,” he said. “I don’t know how much time it will take, but I am ready to do anything to get back.

“It’s not a matter of tennis, it’s just a matter of confidence and feeling good on court, finding the rhythm, the tactics…”

The 23-year-old, who currently occupies No.97 on the ATP computer, endured a torrid year in 2008.

He suffered a stress fracture of the wrist that put him out for two months after Wimbledon followed by a back problem in October.

“Every time now I wake up and I feel some pain, I’m scared. So I need to get some confidence in me, in my game, in my body and I think it will take time,” the 2006 Aussie Open runner-up added.

“It’s a bit disappointing, coming [to Kooyong] playing a match like that, not only for me, but for Stan and the crowd too.

“So I’m trying now not to put pressure on me, just go out there and have some fun and just get some confidence in my body and mind.

Now get the WORLD’S BEST TENNIS MAGAZINE here


Copy link