Lorenzo Musetti removed from Toronto qualifying due to Covid breach
Tennis Canada and the ATP Tour announced Saturday that Lorenzo Musetti will not be allowed to compete at the National Bank Open after he left the controlled environment.
The bubble is meant to keep players and their team members from getting COVID-19, the 60th seed left and will therefore not be allowed to compete at National Bank Open.
Musetti is a 19-year-old who reached the fourth round at the French Open in June in his Grand Slam debut.
He took a two-set lead against world number one Novak Djokovic in the fourth round before eventually retiring because of lower back pain and cramps while trailing 6-7, 6-7, 6-1, 6-0, 4-0.
Tennis Canada and the ATP said that the letter of approval from the Public Health Agency of Canada that allowed the tournament to go forward amid the coronavirus pandemic stated that “any individual leaving the controlled environment is in breach of COVID-19 protocol and will be unable to re-enter to compete at the event.”
Musetti was replaced in the qualifying bracket by Max Purcell.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner