‘Look for fireworks’ – Chris Evert on Serena Williams third round French Open clash
Chris Evert believes the third round match between Serena Williams and Danielle Collins at the 2021 French Open could be a “clash of the titans”.
No. 8 seed Williams will play world No. 50 Collins in the round of 32 at Roland Garros on Friday.
Williams defeated Mihaela Buzarnescu in the second round, while Collins beat Anhelina Kalinina.
Ahead of the third round matchup, Eurosport expert Evert said: “Serena is coming back pretty quickly – before this tournament she only had three matches.
“She’s looking better and better, moving smoother on the clay, and she’s being patient. In the next match against Danielle Collins, look for fireworks because this is a feisty young player.
“Danielle has come on strong, she hits the ball hard and flat and you will feel her presence on court. It will match Serena Williams – they are both strong-minded and we could have a clash of the titans in that match. I’m really looking forward to it.”
It will be a second career meeting between the two Americans – with Williams winning the previous encounter at the WTA Yarra Valley Classic in February.
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner