‘Lets be crazy and go for it’ – Daniil Medvedev sets up French Open last 8 clash against Stefanos Tsitsipas
Daniil Medvedev continued his fine form to defeat Christian Garin in straight sets at the French Open, with the Russian immediately eyeing up his last eight clash against Stefanos Tsitsipas.
The 25-year-old had never won a match at the French Open and has reached the 2021 quarter-final with the loss of just one set. He will face Tsitsipas on Tuesday after his 6-2, 6-1, 7-5 win.
The World No. 2 imposed his dominance on the match from ball one, securing the opening set 6-2 in just 36 minutes. Medvedev won 86% of first serve points in set two, while hitting 15 winners as he raced to a 6-1 set.
Garin fought hard in the third set to mount a comeback, however Medvedev hit two stunning forehand winners at 5-5 to break the Chilean’s serve. The Russian made no mistake and served out the match in style to complete his fine form in Paris.
“At 5-5 third set, I had break point and Christian played a great shot so I said lets be crazy and go for it. I hit two forehand winners which were unbelievable.” Medvedev said.
“I’m already thinking about the match on Tuesday against Stefanos. It is going to be a difficult match, we are rivals and I hope all the crowd will be supporting me.”
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner