Laura Robson wins first senior title
Don’t expect her name to disappear any time soon. Laura Robson has claimed her first title on the senior Tour with victory over compatriot Samantha Vickers at an ITF Challenger event in Sunderland. The 14-year-old junior Wimbledon champion beat Vickers, three years her senior, 6-3 6-2 in Sunday’s final.
Laura Robson, the No.5 seed, cruised through the early stages of the tournament beating both 16-year-old Stephanie Cornish and 23-year-old Matea Mezak in straight sets.
Since winning her Junior Wimbledon title, Robson has made four appearances on the ITF circuit…
Romania’s Laura-Ioana Andrei took Robson to three sets in the quarter-finals, but the highest ranked Brit in the draw looked more assured in her semi-final, winning 6-3 6-3 against Tara Moore before claiming the title with victory over qualifier Vickers.
Since winning at the All England Club in July, Robson had made three appearances on the ITF circuit before playing in Sunderland: retiring in the second round of her debut in France before reaching the semi-finals in Shrewsbury and losing to Angelique Kerber of Germany in the opening round in Barnstaple.
Robson, ranked No.559 in the world before arriving in Sunderland, made a stunning WTA Tour debut in Luxembourg in October, racing to a convincing first set lead against world No.42 Iveta Benesova before eventually falling 1-6 6-2 6-3.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner