Robson to make WTA Tour debut
British teenager Laura Robson will play her first WTA Tour event in Luxembourg in late October. Laura Robson, who earlier this year became the youngest winner of the girls singles at Wimbledon since Martina Hingis, has been handed a wild card into the WTA tier 3 Fortis Championships which begins on October 20.
Sign up for Tennishead email news alerts
The tournaments official website lists Laura Robson as a wild card recipient which means she will line up in the $225,000 main draw alongside the likes of world No.4 Elena Dementieva and top 20 players Anna Chakvetadze, Daniela Hantuchova and Caroline Wozniacki.
Reigning French Open champion Ana Ivanovic won last years event.
Robson played her first Futures event in France in mid-September where she reached the second round, ITF tournament in Shrewsbury a week later.
In only her second outing as a pro she beat three highly rated players in Shrewsbury, two of which Pole Ursula Radwanska and Israels Tzipora Obziler had world rankings inside the top 130 at the time.
The teenager from Wimbledon WTA Tour singles world rankings next Monday.
She plays Germanys Angelique Kerber in the first round of the singles on Wednesday.
Robson’s week began with a defeat, though, when she and fellow Briton Katie OBrien lost their first round doubles contest to Hungary’s Katalin Marosi and Brazil’s Marinaon Tavares 6-4, 4-6, 10-8 on Tuesday afternoon.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner