‘I’m okay with not winning Grand Slams’, declares Nick Kyrgios
Nick Kyrgios has insisted he is okay with not winning Grand Slams, saying that not everyone can be “gods” like Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, or Novak Djokovic.
The Australian believes it is important for tennis to have some people that are relatable – like himself – to attract “other fans”.
The world No. 60 is in action at Wimbledon in his first event since the Australian Open in February. He will play Felix Auger-Aliassime in the third round tomorrow.
“You have to have some people, I believe, that are relatable, that people can bring other fans to watch. I feel like I’m one of those people,” Kyrgios said in a press conference.
“Not everyone can be a [Roger] Federer or [Novak] Djokovic or [Rafael] Nadal. These are, like, once-in-a-decade athletes that inspire millions of people. Like, they’re just gods. I see them as that, too.
“But you have to have some people, I believe, that are relatable, that people can bring other fans to watch, like people that are just normal. I feel like I’m one of those people.
“I’m Nick Kyrgios. I know who I am. I just don’t put that much pressure on myself anymore. I’m okay with that. I’m okay with not winning Grand Slams.
“I know that’s going to make a lot of people angry. He should be doing this. But I shouldn’t, though. It’s not your life, it’s mine. I’m okay with just enjoying myself, putting on a show.”
The 26-year-old also revealed he is yet to decide whether he will play at the Tokyo Olympics this summer.
Kyrgios has entered the ATP 250 tournament in Atlanta – which begins a day after the Olympic tennis tournament on July 24.
“I’m tossing up my options at the same time. I’ve heard some things about the Olympics, that are very tough, restrictions wise. No guests, none of that stuff,” the Australian added.
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner