Kei Nishikori forced to delay return again with elbow injury prompting withdrawal from Delray Beach
Kei Nishikori has been forced to delay his return again after he withdrew from the upcoming Delray Beach.
Nishikori is based in Florida, so Delray Beach is a home tournament for him, but he is still struggling with the injury that has kept him out since the US Open last year.
In his absence, Reilly Opekla has been pushed up the line-up.
“Kei is such a tremendous competitor, I know we’ll see him back in Delray Beach,” said Tournament Director Mark Baron.
“We’re all rooting for his health and return in top form.
“With such a deep field, this gives us a chance to feature one of our young fan-favourite Americans and we’re glad to be able to promote Reilly to the Super Tuesday bill.
“This will be such a fantastic day and night for fans.”
Delray Beach starts on February 14th and boasts a strong field even without Kei Nishikori.
Nick Kyrgios is scheduled to play, although he will need to recover from the shoulder injury that has kept him out of the New York Open this week.
Milos Raonic, Taylor Fritz, and Frances Tiafoe are all set to be involved, as is Tennys Sandgren after his fine Australian Open performance.
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates with our legendary newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner