Karolina Pliskova has no complaints after shock US Open defeat, admitting: ‘I didn’t play my best’
Top seed Karolina Pliskova was in philosophical mood after crashing out of the US Open, claiming she just didn’t do enough on the day to win.
Pliskova was far fro her best as she sank to a 6-1, 7-6 defeat to Caroline Garcia on Arthur Ashe.
It was a real disappointment for the Czech star, who was the highest-ranked woman in the tournament after the withdrawals of Ashleigh Barty and Simona Halep
However, she was determined not to beat herself up over it.
“I think I didn’t play that bad,” Karolina Pliskova said after the match.
“I thought she played great tennis in the first set. She was just playing super aggressive, going for her shots.
“I maybe didn’t play my best. I didn’t serve that great, especially early in the match.
“But that’s how it is sometimes. I’m not a robot, so I don’t have to play every day amazing.
Pliskova did, however, suggest that she paid the penalty for going so long without playing matches due to the coronavirus crisis.
“I think maybe it can take some time to get back in the tournament rhythm. Hopefully this can happen on clay.
“There’s going to be hopefully more tournaments after Paris so we can just play a little more.
“Let’s see. I mean, we just started. I think there is no reason to panic really.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner