Karolina Pliskova beats Donna Vekic to reach French Open second round
No. 9 seed Karolina Pliskova defeated Donna Vekic in two tight sets to reach the second round of the 2021 French Open.
The Czech won 7-5, 6-4 against the world No. 36 in the first round at Roland Garros.
The pair exchanged breaks in the opening two games of the match, before Pliskova saved a break point in the fourth and sixth games.
The 29-year-old then broke the Croatian in a lengthy 11th game to go 6-5 ahead, before serving the set out convincingly.
Both players saved break points in the second set, before Pliskova broke Vekic to love to take a 5-4 lead.
The world No. 10 then served out the match to come through a challenging opening contest.
She hit eight aces to seven double faults, and won 85% of points behind her first serve and 45% on second serve.
The Czech hit 26 winners to 27 unforced errors, and won a total of 43% of the return points she played.
It was Pliskova’s first match since being crushed 6-0, 6-0 by Iga Swiatek in the Italian Open final just over two weeks ago.
She will face either Carla Suarez Navarro or Sloane Stephens in the second round in Paris.
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner