Karen Khachanov guarantees Olympic medal after semi-final victory
World No. 25 Karen Khachanov has secured either a gold or silver medal at the Tokyo Olympics after defeating Pablo Carreno Busta in the semi-finals.
Khachanov, who is representing the Russian Olympic Committee at the Games, defeated the Spaniard 6-3 6-3 to earn the first spot in the men’s singles gold-medal match.
The tournament’s No. 12 seed will face either Novak Djokovic or Alexander Zverev, who face off on Friday in the other semi-final.
Khachanov, who impressed at Wimbledon earlier this month to reach the quarter-finals, continued his form into Tokyo after beating Australian James Duckworth and Diego Schwartzman before battling past Ugo Humbert.
Pablo Carreno Busta will fight for a bronze medal against the loser of the semi-final.
*Adds 'Olympic Medalist' to tennis resume* ✍️@karenkhachanov keeps up his #Tokyo2020 scintillating form, defeating Pablo Carreno Busta 6-3 6-3 to make the men’s singles final and guarantee himself 🥈 or 🥇#Tennis | #Olympics
— ITF (@ITFTennis) July 30, 2021
More to follow…
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner