JJ takes over from Ana at the top
Serbias Jelena Jankovic is the new womens world No.1 in todays Sony Ericsson WTA Tour singles world rankings.
The 23-year-old takes over from compatriot Ana Ivanovic who held the ranking for nine weeks after winning her first grand slam title at Roland Garros in June.
You can say you were No.1 and no one can take that away from you…
Although Jelena Jankovic has yet to reach the singles final of a major, she has had a consistent 12 months.
She won the tier 1 title in Rome in may, has made three finals, in Toronto (2007), Beijing (2007) and Miami (2008) and six semi-finals including the Australian Open and Roland Garros.
Jelena Jankovic becomes the 18th womens world No.1.
“Since I was a young girl, it has been my dream to become No.1 in the world,” Jankovic said.
“When you get older, at least one day you can say you were No.1 and no one can take that away from you. You are in the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour history books and it’s a great achievement.”
Former womens world No.1s
- Chris Evert
- Evonne Goolagong Cawley
- Martina Navratilova
- Tracy Austin
- Serena Williams
- Venus Williams
- Justine Henin
- Kim Clijsters
- Jennifer Capriati
- Arantxa S
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner