Jannik Sinner: ‘What stood out most was how friendly Rafa Nadal was and how hard he works’
Jannik Sinner said what stood out most from spending time with Rafael Nadal was “how friendly he was with me and how hard he works”.
The 19-year-old shared a bubble and trained with Nadal in Adelaide ahead of the Australian Open earlier this year.
Sinner also revealed he has broken his racket on court just twice, saying: “this type of attitude doesn’t go with my personality”.
“You learn lots of things off someone who’s won 20 Grand Slams. What most stood out about him (Nadal) was how friendly he was with me and how hard he works,” Sinner told Marca.
“Rafa and the rest of his team are normal people. When they have to have a good time they do so. In training, it’s down to business.”
The Italian added on breaking rackets: “Twice, I think. I remember one of them. It was in Bonfiglio, not far from Milan.
“It was in an Under-18s tournament. I lost in the quarter-finals after having a nightmare of a match and I broke my racket.
“Leaving the court, I felt so cross with myself for having broken the racket, much more [than the fact] that I’d lost. I realised that this type of attitude doesn’t go with my personality.”
The world No. 18 is in action at the Madrid Open – where he will face Guido Pella in the first round on Monday.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner