Jannik Sinner reaches ATP final ahead of Australian Open
Teenage sensation Jannik Sinner reached the final of the Great Ocean Open on Saturday after beating Karen Khachanov ahead of the Australian Open.
The 19-year-old, who is the youngest player currently in the top 100, saved a match point before battling past the Russian 7-6(4) 4-6 7-6(4) in a three-hour contest to reach the final in Melbourne.
Sinner, who won his first ATP title in Sofia at the end of 2020, will look to win his second successive title as he takes on compatriot Stefano Travaglia in the final.
The Italian, who pushed Rafael Nadal all the way in their Roland Garros quarter-final despite losing in straight sets, trained with the 20-time Grand Slam champion in Adelaide ahead of the Great Ocean Open.
Sinner said: “For a 19-year-old to practice with a player who won 20 Slams is the best preparation I could get.
“I think it’s been two fantastic weeks. I just want to thank him for the preparation which I believe is much more important than playing the tournament as I can learn many things from him.”
Following his final against Travaglia, Sinner will look towards a tricky first-round match against 21-year-old 11th seed Denis Shapolalov at the Australian Open, with the pair set to meet for the very first time.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner