Jannik Sinner: ‘I feel lucky to have met Maria Sharapova. She had a special type of mentality’
Jannik Sinner said Maria Sharapova had a ‘special type of mentality few players have’ and that spending time with champions ‘makes you improve as a player and person’.
The 19-year-old is coached by Riccardo Piatti – who also coached Sharapova from 2019 until her retirement in 2020. Sinner spent time with the five-time Grand Slam champion at Piatti’s academy.
“I feel lucky to have met her (Sharapova) personally. She really impressed me with her professionalism. Her tennis was incredible, which is evident in what she achieved,” the Italian said in an interview with Marca.
“She had a different and special type of mentality that few players have. I tried to understand how you can have this character. It’s a bit like what happened to me with Nadal in Adelaide.
View this post on Instagram
“They don’t just have one thing that makes them unique – it’s a collection of things. Spending time with them makes you improve, not just as a tennis player but as a person.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner